Khai: 14 reasons 2014 was awesome!
Yosemite National Park, California
It's crazy to think 2014 is over! I really enjoyed it. Why? Because I achieved so many things I set out in 2013 and it wasn't a case of empty promises. I know that when I look back, it'll be with fondness that will conjure many smiles. The actions I took will have a positive impact on my future and that's why I will be grateful for 2014! Now it's time for the 14 things that made it the year that was:
1. Got direction for our future. I was a little lost at the end of 2013. I loved my job and I loved my life but I felt like I needed to add another dimension to keep me happy and feel challenged. This year I learnt that I need to pursue The Kit Source, I've been dreaming about having my own business since I was a kid! I love that it's dynamic and involves every aspect in business. The success of this business will be key for our future and I will work super hard to make it come true!
Advice received via fortune cookies at the start of 2014.
2. Lived in another city for more than a week. As you may know already, Lel and I moved to Berkeley for some much needed time to sharpen our minds, get some guidance on our future and enjoy our time together.
3. Met some really great people while living in Berkeley. Some of the friendships formed will last the test of time. Yes, quite are few are spread throughout this Earth but with technology, it won't be too hard to stay in touch. I can't wait for some of them to visit us here in Sydney, Australia!! I'll look after you guys for sure!
4. Graduated from my Global Business Management course. I proved to myself that I have a mind for continuing education and really appreciated the experience!
Some of the best Classmates I've ever had! Thanks for making it awesome!!
5. Accepted the cycle of friendships - Friends come and go and that's natural. I understood this year what it means to let go of certain friendships. I learnt that you just can't force it if it's not there anymore... This didn't mean that the friendship ended, it's just the nature of the relationship changed. You don't see them as often and probably don't share as much but who knows what the future will hold, you may become close friends again?
6. Fell in love with the Bike again. The last time I owned a bike and used it regularly was probably when I was 10. Fortunately, living in Berkeley without a car forced me to rely on our old friend and as soon as I returned to Sydney, I bought a bike to use as transportation and to get fit!
7. The Kit Source. Was only an idea at the start of 2014 and is now fully operational! Feel free to check it out - www.thekitsource.com. Below is a photo of our first supplies delivered in August 2014. I'm so proud that we followed through with an idea. The timing could not have been better!
8. Spectacular natural landscapes. Did I feel at peace in these locations or what!!! Living in the City, it's easy to forget that there is a whole lot of natural beauty out there. This trip reminded me of that and I promised myself that I won't forget again.
Rocky Mountains National Park, Colorado
Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming
Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona
Niagara Falls, New York
9. Spent some serious quality time with the Wife. I love spending time with Lel but when we were both working so much last year, unfortunately, there were periods where I would only see her for a few minutes before she went to sleep. This year was totally different and it was AWESOME.
10. Mental reinvigoration. My mind feels sharp and I feel like I've picked up a lot of new information. More importantly, my mind works at a faster rate which means I can absorb more! Reading books, listening to podcasts and trying out new things will keep the brain juices flowing too! I'm more motivated than ever to do what I need to do!
11. Joined my local outdoor soccer team. This was the culmination of following the sport for the last 5 - 6 years and encouragement by friends to give "outdoor" a go. After playing Futsal for several years and then playing "American Soccer" with my classmates + reaching the Grand Final, I was determined to play the full game on grass. I joined my local team a few weeks before I got back home and played within 16 hours of landing! My new team mates are awesome and I'm looking forward to a much improved 2015 season.
12. Western Sydney Wanderers became Asian Champions. What a fairytale... A team that started from scratch a little over 30 months ago are now Champions of Asia. It was a roller coaster ride and every minute from the quarter final onwards gave me heart palpitations! I'm so proud of what the club has achieved and look forward to many more years of being a passionate supporter.
Image Source - Reuters: Faisal Al Nasser
13. Started reading again and love it! I have to be honest, I was never a big reader and the first few weeks of the course was a real test. After some intense reading, my ability to absorb information and the speed in which I read the text increase dramatically. Guess some skills just need a reminder...
14. I ate really well and didn't become fat or unhealthy. Last time I lived in the USA for a similar length, I gained over 10kg and was very out of shape when I got home. Read this short blog to see some of the amazing food we ate on this trip.
Happy New Year everyone!!! I'm really looking forward to this year because it's going to be really important for us here at The Kit Source!
How was your 2014? Comment below!